Wednesday 10 September 2008

REVIEW: Cousins Rivals Queens

Cousins Rivals Queens - Part 1: Elizabeth
Regina Satires

"It would have been easier had I been a man" said Queen Elizabeth I, and in this case she actually was a man, as performer Robert Inston donned the customary white make up and orange wig. I hadn't seen much performance history before so can't profess to be an expert, but this didn't give a good history lesson. First and foremost, it wasn't a believable acting performance. It just never really took off, possibly because characterisation got lost amid the historical details which made this a confused and hesitant lecture. The rambling monologue didn't flow easily and seemed partly improvised which led to awkward pauses. I had no idea where it was going, and I'm not sure Inston did either.

The Space @ The Thistle (V36), dates vary, 6.05pm (6.55pm), £6.00 (£5.00), fpp 193
tw rating: 1/5

published: Aug-2008 for Three Weeks newspaper at the Edinburgh Festival

No comments: